Tahoe Future Forum

Tahoe Future Forum

Life-long learning

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      MAHB Admin
      Keymaster

Does an eclectic approach to life-long learning fortify a species chance for survival? [The more one knows, the safer we’ll be?]

Garry Bowen
      Participant

As we now live in a society more attuned to the economic values of getting adequate employment (via a strata of graduated degrees in particular fields), we have short-sightedly relegated all the life has to offer as inadequate in knowing how our planet actually operates, and in knowing what it needs to better serve ‘life-as-know-it’ (i.e., the 3 main ingredients: water, DNA, and energy). . .

As to ‘eclectic’, I’ve been feeding my “intuitive intellect” for decades, & am continually rejuvenated by what I learn. . .sustainability is still currently ‘outside-the-box’ for most. . .

Garry Bowen
      Participant

As alluded to in my first post, we are all actually “life-long learners”, from our 1st step, to our 1st intelligible word spoken – for the most part, we are not encouraged to pay that much attention to the world around us (hence our current inability to be in alignment with it on an adequate operational basis. . .
      Life-long learning as practiced from this point forward will necessarily include the outdoors-in-play (as children), continual absorption of intellectual material (literary & academic), along with all subjects that appeal to life-affirming directions for a humane presence on Earth. . .

Academically, a current emphasis on ‘specializing’ is fine for one’s chosen field, but ends up perpetuating things needing to be changed for an equitable society, due to the undue pressures of maintaining a ‘status quo’: as renowned organizational development guru Peter Senge (M.I.T.) has been quoted:

“The establishment will always support the status quo, long after the quo has lost its’ status. . .”

In the current political climate, this would appear to make a case for a declining empire, as a national psyche is more & more at stake, along with certain life processes that endanger most species that have no voice of their own with which to “speak out”. . .this, for me, makes a case for “life-long learning” to ensure extending ‘life-long lives’ for all sentient beings and processes. . .

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.