Item Link: Access the Resource
Year of Publication: 2024
Publication City: Boulder, Co
Publisher: Living Room Conversations
The problem: we know the results of the 2024 election are going to be questioned
72% of Democrats, 42% of Independents, & 22% of Republicans agree that if Trump wins in 2024 democracy is broken
64% of Republicans, 37% of Independents, and 18% of Democrats agree that if Biden wins in 2024 democracy is broken
– Public Religion Research Institute, 2023
The opportunity: we can build trust in our elections and each other
- Americans want election processes that are fair, robust, and transparent.
- Elections happen in local communities that can actively take responsibility for conducting trustworthy elections.
- Local communities are also a great place to build interpersonal trust as people talk to each other and work together.
- We can build trust nationally by connecting those local communities (people are already accustomed to using video platforms to connect). We can also use high profile conversations to inspire a national narrative and model connection across differences.
- Local communities acquire skills and confidence in each other and their election practices ahead of November and walk away with increased trust for tackling other critical issues.
- We counter the narrative of division that conflict entrepreneurs are spreading, leaving them a fraction of the capacity to incite violence both before and after the election.
Read the full article and download the Trust in Election PDF guides here. Get involved!